SWEET BLUE HAIRED GRANNY
by Katy Williams
Winner of the 2018 American Dairy Association Grilled Cheese
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons salted butter, softened (Tulip Tree Creamery)
2 (½-inch) slices sourdough bread (Amelia’s City Loaf)
2 ounces aged Gouda or other hard cheese, shredded (Tulip Tree Creamery Night Shade or Dutch Tulip)
2 to 6 thin slices Granny Smith apple
2 ounces double cream blue cheese, sliced (Tulip Tree Creamery Chicory)
1 to 2 tablespoons Indiana wildflower honey
1. Stir rosemary into butter & spread onto one side of each bread slice.
2. Sprinkle shredded cheese onto unbuttered side of one bread slice.
3. Top with apple slices, sliced blue cheese and second bread slice, buttered side on top.
4. Grill on medium heat, 5 minutes per side, checking frequently for even browning, until cheese is melted and bread is golden.
5. Cut in half & drizzle with honey before serving.
6. Garnish with Home Ec’s Spicy Pickled Carrots.
makes 1 sandwich
Three Cheese Pasta
submitted by Tulip Tree Team Member, Tad Sperka
3 Tbsp Cultured Butter
2 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cup whole milk
8oz Trillium, rind removed, and divided into pieces
4oz Nightshade, Shredded
4oz, Haymaids, Shredded
1 lb cooked pasta (recommend Penne or Cavatappi)
1. Melt Cultured Butter in a sauce pan over medium heat
2. Whisk in flour and cook for 3-5 minutes
3. Add milk and cook until sauce thickens to coat back of a spoon
4. Add piece of Trillium and whisk until melted, before adding another piece.
5. Continue this process until all the Trillium has been added, and repeat with Haymaids and Nightshade.
6. Once all the cheese is melted taste and season accordingly
7. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and toss until completely coated
8. Serve with chicken breast , either grilled or pan fried
2 -Package mini toasts (we use the Life in Provence Cocktail Party Toasts – 36 count)
1 -8 oz package of Trillium
1 -8 oz jar Roasted Tomato Jam (made by Home Ec.)
1. Allow cheese to come to room temperature.
2. Smear a small amount of the cheese on the toast.
3. Place a small amount of the Tomato Jam on top of the cheese.
4. Place on a platter and enjoy!
Fromage Frais Turkey Burgers
2 lbs ground turkey (use 7% fat rather than fat free)
3⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 ounces Fromage Frais
1. Mix all ingredients together with hands.
2. Form into patties of desired size and thickness. If you keep them fairly thick, they will be moister.
3. Place into lightly greased, non stick skillet or grill. Cook over medium high heat without moving until bottom side is caramelized brown and crusted - appx 4-5 minutes.
4. Turnover, reduce heat to medium and cook 8-10 minutes longer or until center is no longer pink and juices run clear.
5. Serve on your favorite rolls with an extra dollop of fromage fraise on top!
makes 4 (1/2 lb burgers) to 6 (1/3 lb burgers)
4 oz Fromage Frais
4 oz Bovre
2 oz cream or half and half
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic, chopped
4 oz Tulip Tree Mozzarella, shredded
1/4 cup Romano cheese
salt to taste
pepper to taste
Cook garlic in olive oil until tender. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature. Mix all ingredients together well and store in an air tight container overnight.
6 slices of eggplant, 1/4 inch thick lengthwise
1 cup vegetable oil
Filling mix (see recipe above)
1 cup tomato sauce
4 oz Tulip Tree Mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F
2. In skillet, heat oil until hot. Place eggplant slices in hot oil and cook until tender, turning once during cooking. Repeat for all 6 slices.
3. Remove from hot oil and place on paper towels to drain. Let eggplant cool. Place eggplant on clean surface, over lapping two of the longer slices slightly with the wide end of one next to the thin end of other.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Place Cannelloni filling on top of eggplant and roll up.
5. Place in oven safe dish and bake at 350 deg F for 30 minutes or until hot all the way through.
6. Warm tomato sauce in a small saucepan. Place sauce on top of eggplant.
7. Cover with mozzarella cheese and place back in the oven until cheese is melted
Chorizo Polenta Skillet
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound Mexican Chorizo (fresh raw)
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 to 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin powder
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 quart chicken stock, divided (1 cup and 3 cups)
1 cup milk
1 cup polenta (not instant)
2 tablespoons Tulip Tree Cultured Butter
3 oz Tulip Tree Snapdragon
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
6 oz Tulip Tree Bovre
1. Preheat oven to 425 deg F.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, 12- to 14-inch skillet. Add onions, garlic, oregano, and cumin and cook until onions are translucent.
3. Add beef and chorizo, and brown and crumble.
4. Stir in tomato paste, cook 3 minutes more.
5. Add 1 cup stock, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook a few minutes to thicken. Transfer sauce to a bowl.
6. Rinse skillet and return it to heat. Add remaining 3 cups stock and 1 cup milk, and bring to a simmer.
7. Lower heat to medium-low and whisk in polenta. Stir 15-18 minutes to thicken then season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
8. Turn off heat and add in butter and Snap Dragon and stir until butter and cheese are melted.
9. Smooth polenta and make a well in the center, about an inch from the edge of pan. Fill trough with meat sauce and top large crumbles of Bovre. Bake a few minutes in the 425 deg F oven to brown then serve from skillet at the table.